THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM
Hanoi, June 17, 2010
Pursuant to the 1992 Constitution of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, which was amended and supplemented under Resolution No. 51/2001/QH10;
The National Assembly promulgates the Law on Adoption.
This Law provides the principles and conditions for adoption; competence, order and procedures for settling adoptions; rights and obligations of adoptive parents, adopted children and natural parents; and responsibilities of agencies and organizations in adoption.
Adoption aims to establish permanent parent and child relationships in the best interests of adopted persons, ensuring that adopted persons are nurtured, cared for and educated in the family environment.
In this Law. the terms below are construed as follows:
1. Adoption means the establishment of parent and child relationships between the adopting and adopted persons.
2. Adoptive parent means the person who adopts another after the adoption is registered by a competent state agency.
3. Adopted person means the person who is adopted after the adoption is registered by a competent state agency.
4. Domestic adoption means the adoption between Vietnamese citizens permanently residing in Vietnam.
5. Intercountry adoption means the adoption between a Vietnamese citizen and a foreigner, between foreigners permanently residing in Vietnam, and between Vietnamese citizens either of whom settles abroad.
1. This Law takes effect on January 1. 2011.
2. The Government shall detail and guide the implementation of articles and clauses as assigned in the Law; and guide other necessary contents of this Law to meet state management requirements.
This Law was passed on June 17, 2010, by the XIIth National Assembly of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam at its 7th session.-
CHAIRMAN OF THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY